Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Some Holiday Eggnog recipes


While most of my family loves eggnog, I am not a fan. Except of course for baking. I love baking with eggnog and my main difficulty is keeping it in the house long to bake with.

Holiday Eggnog Bread

{this recipes makes a 2 pound loaf}

3/4 cup eggnog

1/3 cup water

1 egg

2 tablespoons butter or margarine cut up

4 cups bread flour (I just used all-purpose)

3 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

1/2 cup mixed candied fruits and peels

Add all ingredient to the machine according to manufacturer’s directions. Select basic white bread cycle. Drizzle Cooled loaf with Eggnog Glaze…as follows…

Eggnog Glaze: In a small mixing bowl mix together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and tnough eggnog to make a glaze….drizzling consistency.


Eggnog Cookies - Mrs. Fields recipe

2 1/4 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/4 cups sugar

3/4 cup margerine

1/2 cup egg nog

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 large egg yolks

1 tablespoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 300°F. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mis well. In large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer to form a grainy paste. Add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks and beat at medium speed until smooth. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet one inch apart. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Immediately transfer to cool.

Quick Tip: Use the leftover egg whites from the above recipe to make the meringues below…

Christmas Eggnog Fudge

And here's a yummy recipe for eggnog fudge. My teenagers made it last night and yumm! They made a few alterations using what we had on hand but it worked well. I'm amazed! lol

2.5 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup egg nog
1 jar marshmallow creme (they used 16 large marshmallows instead)
8 oz white chocolate (they used a bag of milk chocolate chips)
3/4 tsp rum extract (they omitted this)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (omitted this too)
3/4 cup chopped candied cherries (omitted this as well)

Combine sugar, butter and egg no in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallows and chocolate and other additions if desired. Spread into prepared pan. Chill until set. Remove from pan. Cut into squares.

This post links up with the surprise recipe party. Check out all the other awesome recipe links as well at...



Hope this gets you into the holiday baking mood!

Julia

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these wonderful eggnog recipes, Julia! I like it, too--just not drinking it--not sure why! These sound fabulous, though--my daughters have friends coming to spend the night tonight, and I was looking for some new cookies--love the Mrs. Fields' ones--think these might be the new favorites!

    I have discovered Soy Eggnog, though--no eggs in it, and I DO like to drink it--maybe give it a try? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I love your new blog banner! I call them 'feather whisp designs', but I believe the correct term is 'engraved'? Not sure - doesn't really matter :)
    Thanks for the egg nog recipes, too. I'd also like to thank Julie for the heads up on the soy one. My mom loves the nog, but cannot eat the eggs in it so I'll mention this to her.
    One other way I use 'The Nog' is in rice pudding. Ooh, so yummy! I tried the Viceless Riceless recipe (made with couscous) in the Eat, Shrink etc first book with such great success I had to make more. Immediately! A few drops of Orange flower water are really a wonderful addition in rice pudding, as well and also marry well with the eggnog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Finding Beauty @ Home. And thanks for your lovely comments. I appreciate each one. Have a beautiful day!

Julia