Monday, November 2, 2009

A Sweet Start

I had a busy weekend with not much time at home but I did manage to get the weekend off to a sweet start. I love finding time to bake, especially in the fall and pie is on the top of my family's favorites list. Simple desserts that remind me of weekends on the farm at Grandma's. While I can never hope to be as good as it as she was, I find joy in making them from scratch and creating those old rhubarb, pumpkin and strawberry favorites. I ended up baking five pies and we ate one while giving the others away to be enjoyed. There's beauty in making things for others.




I like using the Tenderflake Lard recipe that's on the box for my pastry. If you're going to mess up the kitchen, might as well roll out a lot. A lot of the time, I'll make a couple pies and freeze the other pie shells for a quick dessert. Last spring my daughter and I froze a lot of rhubarb from the garden to get us through the winter. It's so sweet that she's now an age that she can help and actually wants to. Here's my rhubarb pie recipe to share with you today...it originally came from a friend. A simple recipe but so good. I like that.

Rhubarb Pie

1 cup brown sugar
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup cream
4 cups rhubarb

Place fresh or frozen rhubarb in a pie shell. Mix first four ingredients together and pour over rhubarb. Bake at 375°F for approximately 45 minutes or until done. Enjoy!

Have a beautiful day,
Julia

1 comment:

  1. Love these pies! And I love your feelings on making things for others--I agree totally! I've planned to make a good old-fashioned pie today and share it on my blog--not a common pie..."Shoo Fly Pie"--ever had one? A real blast from my childhood past, and just found the recipe recently. Thanks for sharing this recipe--rhubarb pie is my Dad's favorite--I'll enjoy making this for him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Finding Beauty @ Home. And thanks for your lovely comments. I appreciate each one. Have a beautiful day!

Julia